Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A little about myself

I guess it's time to tell you a little about myself. I finished my Ph.D. a little over a year ago in a broad field at the intersection of social science and life science. I've since left grad school city (GRC) and moved to post-doc city (PDC) where I am much happier.

I put most of my life on hold to focus on grad school. This may not have been the best decision, but it worked for me. So now I'm rediscovering life with weekends and enjoying every second. My significant other (SO) is in a related field which makes for some fun and lively dinner-table discussions. We moved together from GRC to PDC and have been so much happier now that we are out of GRC.

Grad school was a challenge for me. I had a difficult advisor to work with. In the grand scheme of things he wasn't that bad (I've heard stories of much worse advisors) but it was a struggle for me to work with him. He is a great person, just not the best at guidance. But despite those challenges, and many others that may or may not make it into the blog, I've finished and escaped!

I did the post-doc job search mostly on my own. I'm not sure how I managed, but I pulled it off and am more proud of that accomplishment that just about any other. Not only did I find a job for myself but I managed to be able to help SO to find one as well. It worked out better than I could have ever imagined! This is likely due to my skill set/area of expertise that enables me to adapt to many different lab environments.

It's been an interesting year full of firsts. This is the first time I've moved as an adult from the state I grew up in, and I've been doing all kinds of activities that I never thought I'd try.

This is all inentionally vague, but it should give you a little better sense of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment